21 July 2013

It's been a while

Ah the joys of employment in far flung countries and a daft decision to study law (currently the intricacies of the law surrounding joint tenancies and tenancies in common),  both of which have combined to impact my participation in motor sport in general or this blog in particular.

So, taking a few minutes out, my attention was directed to the Silverstone Classic Auctions lot list, which has some interesting entries looking for some interesting prices.  First up is the Mark Wright Group 2 Zakspeed Ecort. This is a very well prepared vehicle with an excellent pedigree.  I last witnessed this traveling sideways out of Deer Leap at a very wet Oulton Park last year.  Ideal for the Motor Racing Legends JD Classic Challenge and/or the HSCC Super Touring Car Trophy.

Speaking of the latter.

Also under the hammer is this Mondeo Super Touring racer. Built by Andy Rouse in 1996 and raced successfully in 1997, 98 in the Czech Republic.  Certainly one for the Supertouring Fans.



For those with a taste for the earlier touring cars from the 60's there is the chance to purchase one of, if not the fastest, A40 Farina in Historic Racing. Prepared by Ken Clarke Motorsport and raced by Richard Postins, this one has been successful at Goodwood, Spa, Silverstone and Brands Hatch among others.

For those who like to compete in FIA App K series, there are a couple of interesting choices.  The above Corvette and the more reasonably priced Alfa Guilietta.







Continuing in the FIA App K arena there is this Anglia









The entire lot list can be viewed here.

There are indeed quite a number of competition cars currently up for sale, which may suggest that many people are getting out of the sport, either for financial reasons or they're just fed up with it.  On this latter point, I note the FIA is suggesting that we all need to hold an international licence if we wish to compete more than once in another country per season.  An additional and probably unnecessary expense for many and of course a possible impact for historic series such as Masters, HSCC, CER or GTCC who visit circuits all over Europe.

Personally, I confess that the last couple of years have been a bit too busy to enjoy my racing and lack of time in my cars has ultimately led to a lack of competitiveness.  Even Spa last year, my favourite event of the season, failed to raise a smile.  So, I'm hoping that this year's sabbatical will re kindle my enthusiasm.

Failing that I guess I could sell up and buy this:



Finally, although a bit late, I was saddened to hear of the loss of Christian Devereux at Donington in early May.  We competed in the Snetterton Six hours in 2011, he in a Mini and me in the Capri.  I believe he was only a lap behind me at the end and had we run 30 minutes longer, he would surely have been a lot closer!  Nice bloke and a sad loss to our sport.












No comments:

Post a Comment