24 July 2012

They say .........

That motor racing is expensive!  No matter what "they" say, getting a flight to the UK far outweighs the cost of prepping the car and running it for an event.  I know, I just booked my flights for the Oulton Park Gold Cup weekend.  I think I'm feeling the impact of the Olympics (I think I can get away with writing the word here).  The cheapest flight I could get was around £1000 more than normal, and I do this trip pretty regularly.  Hey ho, at least I'm able to race at, along with Cadwell Park, one of the most picturesque circuits in the UK.

But before we go there and as the Classic has taken up so much of everyone's attention, it's worth reminding folks of a few events in the next week or two that should be quite entertaining:

Billed as follows:

HRDC COYS INTERNATIONAL TROPHY MEETING
DONINGTON          
Saturday 28th July 2012


The antidote to Festival overload – No frills, just a cracking day’s content of historic racing at its very best!


Says it all really the HRDC does seem to have hit a spot with drivers and spectators alike.

Then on the very next day the resurgent Aston Martin Owner's Club takes to the Donington Circuit with a pretty large entry, including the Historic V8 Racer's Association.  A large grid of rumbling V8s should provide some seriously noisy entertainment.

Down the road on the same day at Mallory Park, the Classic Touring Car Racing Club has its "Historic Festival".  The entry list looks impressive and can be found here.

Moving into August the HSCC has its Croft 'Nostalgia Weekend' Historic Race Meeting Saturday 4th – Sunday 5th. No entry lists as yet but keep an eye on the club's website.

So, almost through summer, I've got all my entries in for the races I plan to do, so here's hoping for a reliable end to the season.  We'll be at Oulton Park in the JD Classic Touring Cars and the Guards Trophy for GTs. Look forward to seeing you.

And one final thing:  I understand that Iain Rowley (Delta Motorsport) won his Historic FF2000 race at Spa last weekend, in doing so he tried a Vettel and stood on the front of the machine, promptly falling off and breaking the wind deflector and the mirror.  Being Iain I'm sure he laughed about it more than anyone else.  Nonetheless congratulations are due for a fine win and getting to do a lap of honour too!

No comments:

Post a Comment